GREENVILLE, Maine — A mother and daughter became homeless early Tuesday when fire destroyed their mobile home on Washington Street.
Robin Thornton and her teenage daughter escaped the burning home and alerted Greenville firefighters of the 12:15 a.m. fire. They managed to save their two pet dogs, but a rabbit was believed to have perished in the blaze, according to Greenville Fire Chief Joey Harris.
Harris was unsure of the origin of the fire, which began in a back room. The State Fire Marshal’s Office was contacted and an investigator was expected on scene Tuesday afternoon, he said.
“The fire was contained to one end of the trailer, but with the heat and smoke, the trailer was a total loss,” Harris said Tuesday. Thornton had no insurance and the family lost all of its belongings, he added.
The American Red Cross was notified and is assisting Thornton and her daughter, who temporarily are staying with family members in the area.
Greenville firefighters were assisted at the scene by the Charles A. Dean Ambulance service and Greenville police. Shirley firefighters remained on stand-by at the Greenville fire station.