Red Cross, residents rally to help homeless Abbot family

Posted May 16, 2011, at 4:56 p.m.

ABBOT, Maine — A family of six left homeless after a fire destroyed their mobile home in Abbot on Sunday afternoon has received some temporary help from the American Red Cross.

A chimney fire that apparently got out of control reportedly was the cause of the fire that destroyed the home of the Valor Kand family at 28 Juanita Lane. The parents and their four children escaped the fire without injury. A Guilford firefighter who complained of pain was taken to Mayo Regional Hospital in Dover-Foxcroft. He was treated and later released.

Gretchen O’Grady, American Red Cross emergency services director, said the Red Cross provided the family with a debit card for its immediate clothing and food needs and is paying for overnight lodging for up to three days.

O’Grady said the family, which had no insurance coverage, lost everything they owned.

SAD 4 teachers, who have three of the children in their classes, collected funds for the family Monday.

In addition, friends have established an account for the family at the Maine Highlands Federal Credit Union. Donations may be sent to the credit union at P.O. Box 697, Guilford, ME 04443. Contributors should note in the memo section that it is for the Kand family.

SEE COMMENTS →

ADVERTISEMENT | Grow your business
ADVERTISEMENT | Grow your business

Similar Articles

More in Piscataquis