10 years ago — May 5, 2001
(As reported in the Bangor Daily News)
BANGOR — A familiar face has reappeared on WABI-TV. Chris Ewing, a fixture at Channel 5 for a decade, has come back to be the meteorologist. He returns from WMUR in Manchester, N.H., where he moved to in mid-1999. Ewing ends up replacing his replacement, Jeff Matthews. After WABI and Matthews parted company in mid-January, a call went out to Ewing.
BANGOR — For Della and Michael Gleason of Bangor it’s just a few hours’ drive to take them from modern city life to another time, another era. The Gleasons have been going to Kings Landing Historical Settlement, Kings Landing, New Brunswick, near Fredericton, for about 17 years, and it is just another place for them to hang their hats — or bonnets — and feel at home. Their authentically designed costumes make it fun to participate in interpreting New Brunswick history at the site circa 1790 to 1910.
They started when their daughter, Amanda, and son, Abel, were young. Now, Amanda and her family, including sons Michael and Matthew, are carrying on the tradition, making three generations of the family who go to Kings Landing to volunteer.
25 years ago — May 5, 1986
BANGOR — The patriarchal model under which modern Western society functions must be changed in order to bring about peace in the world, according to a well-known theologian.
Appearing as the keynote speaker at a conference on world peace held in Bangor, Dr. Burton Throckmorton, professor of New Testament language and literature at Bangor Theological Seminary, told conference participants that since 1945 modern society has come under the influence of a dangerous masculine stereotype, which has been characterized by “tough-guy posturing” on the part of politicians.
As a result, the world has not been freed for a single moment from the imminent threat of final destruction, he said. The theologian described the current societal model as one that evolved from the Greek philosopher Aristotle, who theorized that males were dominant over females in a hierarchy “based on nature.”
BANGOR — Trina Marie Robinson, daughter of John and Sharon Robinson of Bangor, is a state finalist for the Miss Maine National Teenager Pageant to be held at the Augusta Civic Center. Her interests include cheerleading, horseback riding and writing poetry.
50 years ago — May 5, 1961
BANGOR — The Bangor Garden Club held an Arbor Day observance at Bangor City Hospital when a 7-foot flowering crab-apple tree was planted and presented to the city.
Mrs. Robert Thaxter, president of the garden club, spoke of the history of Arbor Day, April 28, and its significance. She presented the tree to the city. Carl Delano, mayor, accepted the tree and made appropriate remarks. Then each placed a shovelful of dirt at the base of the tree.
Some 15 ambulatory patients at the hospital were out to enjoy the exercises.
BANGOR — The Exposition Building at Bass Park is on its way out. Wreckers have started the demolition of the building along with the caretaker’s house at the entrance of the park. The building, which in recent years has housed the flower exhibit at the Bangor State Fair, will be no more. The exhibits now will be located in Bangor Auditorium.
100 years ago — May 5, 1911
BREWER — Much credit is due the fire department from Brewer for its excellent service [during the Great Fire that ravaged Bangor’s downtown on April 30, 1911] and it is due to the boys from across the Penobscot that the lower end of Exchange Street is still standing.
Members of the Brewer Fire Department were at work from shortly after the start of last Sunday’s fire until it was spent in working on the rear of a block in Exchange Street occupied by the Haynes & Chalmers Co. and the Nichols block at York and Exchange. The fire was kept from spreading to these brick blocks, the firemen working when the flames were at their height and the heat most intense. Much of the time it was necessary for them to work with blankets with eye-holes cut in them tied over their heads, and for them to be wet down frequently by their comrades.
The Brewer boys rendered valuable aid and assistance and one among them was killed while in performance of his duty. Bangor is grateful to Brewer and to the members of the Brewer Fire Department and is proud that she has such neighbors to call upon in her time of need.
EAST DIXMONT — It is a sad day in Dixmont. All our hearts and sympathy go out to the poor suffering, grief-stricken people of Bangor. We all have friends and interests there. The lurid glare of the burning city was plainly seen from the Dixmont hills.
Ira Caig went to Bangor on May 1, on account of the fire. He has a mother and considerable interest there.
PENOBSCOT — Miss Rachel Bridges came home Monday. The family she worked for in Bangor was burned out in the recent fire. Miss Bridges suffered the loss of all her personal effects.
Alfred Perkins is at home from a trip to Boston on the schooner Mary Ann McCann.
BANGOR — Working in the direction of the Central Relief Committee at City Hall are two stations in charge of the local Red Cross and their friends where clothing is received, sorted, classified and distributed to those who lost their possessions in the fire. The station on the east side at the house of the Rev. A.R. Scott on Cumberland Street is in the charge of Mrs. E.P. Boutelle, secretary of the Penobscot chapter of the Red Cross. With her are Misses Caroline Wing, Alice Walker, Agnes Bragg, Bessie Benson, Robina Waterman, Ethel Rowe, Ada Dow and Mrs. John Lyon.
At Mrs. Burpee’s billiard hall, Miss Jane B. Pickering of the Red Cross is in charge, assisted by Mrs. C.A. Moore, Mrs. Burpee, Mrs. E.R. Godfrey, Mrs. F.A. Carleton, Mrs. H.L. Griffin, Miss Margaret Crosby, Mrs. J.S. Bowler, Mrs. C.H. Wood, Mrs. S.R. Prentiss, Mrs. Joseph Thompson, Mrs. Frank Hinckley and others.
Boy Scouts are much in evidence, tying up bundles and running errands.
Automobiles that have been offered for service have been of great use when, in the absence of telephones, matters of immediate importance have to be settled.
BANGOR — It has been determined that the Morse-Oliver building, the finest office building in Bangor, which was reduced to a pile of charred brick and stone in the recent fire, will be built again. The building was protected by the 80 percent insurance clause and about $100,000 will be raised from that source. The present plan is to build on the same site.
Across the street from the site of the Morse-Oliver building on the other side of Exchange Street, the old wooden buildings, which adjoined the Granite block, so-called, on the corner and extended to French Street, will be replaced with a brick block. This property was owned by the heirs of Charles Stetson and Dr. Heyward Stetson of this city is now one of the principal owners. He said the property will be rebuilt with brick buildings, a great improvement over the old wooden structures that stood on the site.
OLD TOWN — Extensive repairs have been made on The Willows, occupied by M.A. Kane. A new veranda has been added and also a plate glass front. Many improvements also have been made to the interior.
Compiled by Ardeana Hamlin