HODGDON, Maine — A longtime Hodgdon business was undamaged but the home attached to Boutilier’s Florist was destroyed in an early morning fire Tuesday.
Hodgdon Fire Chief Clayton Quint said the fire at the Calais Road home, which was attached to an operating greenhouse, sparked at around 1 a.m.
“When we arrived on the scene, it was fully engulfed,” he said Tuesday. “We received mutual aid from Linneus and Houlton. It was a very stubborn fire.”
The two-story home was owned by Orville Boutilier, who lived at the residence with his grandson and a dog. All escaped the dwelling without injury.
Boutilier’s Florist has been open in the community for several decades.
Firefighters were able to save the 2,500-square-foot greenhouse and its contents, and the chief said that the business remains open.
He said he was not sure how the fire started, but he did not consider it suspicious. The State Fire Marshal’s Office was not contacted.
The home was insured.
Firefighters were on the scene for about seven hours.