150 sites participating in Maine’s drug take-back program Saturday

Posted April 29, 2011, at 12:17 p.m.
Last modified April 29, 2011, at 2:27 p.m.

PORTLAND, Maine — Last year, Maine’s prescription drug take-back program brought in nearly 4 tons of expired and unwanted drugs. This year, the program is growing with more than 150 drop-off locations.

Stephen McCausland, Maine Department of Public Safety spokesman, says 128 police agencies across the state are participating in Saturday’s event. The goal is to have the drugs properly disposed of instead of being flushed down toilets or sent off to landfills.

McCausland says another goal is to keep them from getting into the wrong hands. Maine has a problem with abuse of prescription narcotics.

This year’s drug take-back may be even bigger than last year’s because several nursing homes are participating. McCausland says no questions will be asked at the drug take-back drop-off locations.

SEE COMMENTS →

ADVERTISEMENT | Grow your business
ADVERTISEMENT | Grow your business

Similar Articles

More in State