Here’s a nice, lightweight side dish to complement your supper. Try it with baked fish and simple green salad.
Preparation Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Number of Servings: 4
Serving Size: 2 C pasta and vegetables
2 C dry whole-wheat bowtie pasta (8 oz)
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 tsp garlic, minced
1 bag (16 oz) frozen peas and carrots
2 C low-sodium chicken broth
2 Tbsp cornstarch
1 Tbsp fresh parsley, rinsed, dried, and chopped (or 1 tsp dried)
1 medium lemon, rinsed, for 1 tsp zest (use a grater to take a thin layer of skin off the lemon)
¼ tsp ground black pepper
- In a 4-quart saucepan, bring 3 quarts of water to a boil over high heat.
- Add pasta, and cook according to package directions. Drain.
- Meanwhile, heat olive oil and garlic over medium heat in a large sauté pan. Cook until soft, but not browned.
- Add peas and carrots. Cook gently until the vegetables are heated through.
- In a bowl, combine chicken broth and cornstarch. Mix well. Add to pan with vegetables, and bring to a boil. Simmer gently for 1 minute.
- Add parsley, pasta, lemon zest, and pepper. Toss gently, and cook until the pasta is hot.
- Serve 2 cups of pasta and vegetables per portion.
Note: Substitute cooking spray for olive oil and save calories and fat.
Total fat - 6 g
Saturated fat - 1 g
Cholesterol - 0 mg
Sodium - 127 mg
Total fiber - 9 g
Protein - 13 g
Carbohydrates - 59 g
Potassium - 331 mg
Vitamin A - 220%
Vitamin C - 25%
Calcium - 6%
Iron - 10%
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
Source: U.S. Department of Health and Human Services; Recipe source: Deliciously Healthy Dinners