Corinth couple’s home destroyed in fire

Posted April 26, 2011, at 8:39 p.m.
Last modified April 26, 2011, at 9:18 p.m.
Firefighters toss charred furniture from a home on the County Road in Corinth after they put out the fire Tuesday afternoon.  Crews from Corinth, Hudson, Kenduskeag, Bradford, Levant, Garland and Charleston responded to the call.
Firefighters toss charred furniture from a home on the County Road in Corinth after they put out the fire Tuesday afternoon. Crews from Corinth, Hudson, Kenduskeag, Bradford, Levant, Garland and Charleston responded to the call.

CORINTH, Maine — An accelerant used to start a wood stove was cited as the likely cause of a fire Tuesday afternoon that caused significant damage to a County Road home.

The fire at 33 County Road was reported by one of the homeowners about 12:30 p.m., Corinth Fire Chief Scott Bragdon said Tuesday.

Though the homeowners’ names were not immediately released, Bragdon said that the house was owned by the local couple who lived in it and that it was insured. The couple is staying with family members, he said.

Bragdon said little could be done to save the house. When fire crews arrived, heavy smoke was coming from the building and fire had started to emerge from the roof through a pair of skylights, he said.

The fire gutted about half of the house and caused significant damage to the rest of it, he said.

According to Bragdon, the husband who was home at the time tried to extinguish the flames with a garden hose. Though that might have helped keep the fire in check, Bragdon would recommend against doing that.

“It worked out well this time and no one was injured, but no home is worth a life,” he said.

Bragdon said Corinth firefighters were assisted by crews from Kenduskeag, Hudson, Bradford, Charleston and Glenburn and that members of the Garland and Levant fire departments provided standby coverage.

SEE COMMENTS →

ADVERTISEMENT | Grow your business
ADVERTISEMENT | Grow your business

Similar Articles

More in Bangor