Summer is just around the corner, and there are some great events planned throughout the region from June through August, including music weekends, windjammers, Friendship sloops, lobsters and blueberries. If you have friends or relatives coming up to visit during the summer, call us with their information and we will mail them our new Maine Discovery Coast Magazine so they can plan their vacation in the midcoast.
Here are some events to look forward to:
- Summer Solstice Evening, June 18, in Rockland. A celebration of the summer solstice and a kickoff to the summer season. Summer solstice event takes place from 5-9 p.m. on Main Street. Rockland Main Street Inc., 593-6093.
- Thomaston Fourth of July Parade and Celebration, July 4, Thomaston. Large, traditional small town Fourth of July with big parade, 11 a.m., pancake breakfast, entertainment, pet show, horseshoe tournament, firecracker races, baking contests, chicken barbecue, music, crafts, children’s activities and fireworks. Julie Russo, 354-8763.
- Seventh Annual Maine Windjammer Parade, July 15, Rockland Breakwater, Rockland Harbor. The Maine Windjammer Association will host the parade past the Rockland Breakwater 2-4 p.m. Maine Windjammer Association, 800-807-WIND.
- Open Schooner Tours, 2-4 p.m. July 16, North End Shipyard and Windjammer Wharf, Rockland. Stop by and tour some of Maine’s legendary windjammers. Tour the American Eagle, Heritage, Isaac H. Evans, Nathaniel Bowditch and Stephen Taber. Maine Windjammer Association, 800-807-WIND.
- North Atlantic Blues Festival, July 16-17, Harbor Park, Rockland. Blues Festival Hotline, 691-2248. Advance tickets, 593-1189.
- Friendship Sloop Days, July 21-23, Harbor Park, Rockland. The Friendship Sloop Society annual homecoming and regatta with sloop races, demonstrations and visits to historic Friendship Sloops. Penobscot Bay Regional Chamber of Commerce, 596-0376.
- Maine Lobster Festival, Aug. 3-7, Harbor Park, Rockland. World-famous “original lobster festival” now in its 64th consecutive year. 800-LOB-CLAW.
- Maine Boats, Homes & Harbors Show: Tradition Shapes Innovation, Aug. 12-14, Harbor and Buoy Parks, Rockland. This ninth annual show will feature boats in the water, boats on land, marine gear vendors, fine furniture and home wares, the arts, architecture and food. 800-565-4951.
- Union Fair & State of Maine Wild Blueberry Festival, Aug. 20-27, Union Fairgrounds, off Route 17, Union. Classic, rural fair, one of the oldest in Maine. 785-3281.
Shari Closter is the interim executive director of the Penobscot Bay Regional Chamber of Commerce. For more information, call 596-0376, email email@example.com or visit www.TheRealMaine.com.