BANGOR, Maine — A woman near the Dunkin’ Donuts on Main Street noticed a Bangor teenager pointing a gun at another person Tuesday afternoon and called police who arrived in force, Sgt. Paul Edwards said Wednesday.
Officer Joe Baillargeon and backup units responded to the junction of Davis and Main streets at around 4 p.m. and found Alexander W. Moleon, 18, of Bangor.
“Mr. Moleon threw his hands in the air as the officer approached him and was immediately searched,” Edwards said in a statement.
He had a .380-caliber handgun in a holster and told Baillargeon “that a group of armed guys came after him,” the sergeant said. “There was no group found.”
The female witness told police that “she saw him point a gun at someone else. That person never called” to file a police report, Edwards noted.
Even though Moleon was carrying the gun openly in a holster, “this holster is designed to conceal the gun,” so he was charged with carrying a concealed weapon, Edwards said.
The gun also was seized as evidence, he said.
Tuesday’s report of Moleon with a gun is not his first.
He lived with Zachary Carr at 57 Cumberland St. last year when John “Bobby” Surles, 19, was shot during a street fight involving two groups of young men in front of the apartment on Jan. 27, 2010. Carr, 19, was convicted of murder in March and during the weeklong trial, two witnesses testified that Carr and Moleon both had guns during the street fight.
Surles died the day after he was shot at Eastern Maine Medical Center.
Moleon invoked his Fifth Amendment right against self-incrimination and refused to answer questions during Carr’s murder trial, saying, through his attorney, he might face federal charges for being a minor in possession of a firearm if he testified.
Moleon was 17 when the Surles shooting took place.
Edwards said Moleon did not mention the rival group from a year ago when he was charged on Tuesday.
Moleon was not taken into custody Tuesday. He was issued a summons to appear in court at a later date.