June 22, 2018
Mid-Maine Latest News | Poll Questions | Border Patrol | Energy Scam | Toxic Moths

Grease fire leaves Exeter residence a total loss

By Andrew Neff, BDN Staff

EXETER, Maine — A fire late Saturday night at 1799 Exeter Road destroyed one of the town’s older houses and left the elderly couple residing there homeless.

“We got the call around 11:30 p.m.,” said Corinna Fire Chief Leslie Bolstridge. “It started as a grease fire while someone was cooking in the kitchen and spread very quickly.”

Units from Corinna, Dexter, Newport and Garland went to the fire.

“It was a very large, very old house and it didn’t take long for the fire to get inside the walls, and then the wind really picked up later,” Bolstridge said. “The exterior isn’t too bad, but the interior was pretty much a total loss with fire, smoke and water damage.”

The three-story home with four or five bedrooms and two baths also had an attached barn that had been renovated over the years. That was also a loss.

“We were able to salvage some stuff, but not very much,” Bolstridge said.

Bolstridge said he wasn’t able to clear the scene until about 4 a.m. Sunday because of the conditions and the stubborn nature of the fire.

The homeowner is Jeffrey Klein.

People who want to help with clothing, supplies or donations to the couple that lost their home may call the Pine Tree Chapter of the American Red Cross at 941-2903 or the Exeter town office at 379-2191.

Have feedback? Want to know more? Send us ideas for follow-up stories.

You may also like