PEMBROKE, Maine — Two men were arrested Friday by the State Fire Marshal’s Office for the arson fire a year ago of a summer home in Pembroke.
An 18-year-old Perry man, who was a juvenile a year ago when the fire was set, was arrested as an adult Friday without incident at his home and transported to the Washington County Jail in Machias where bail was set at $25,000, according to Maine Public Safety spokesman Stephen McCausland.
Friday afternoon, Assistant District Attorney Paul Cavanaugh said the Perry man was originally charged as an adult but those charges were dismissed and the DA’s office is currently weighing its options regarding juvenile charges against him.
Jeremy Farley, 22, of Baring also was arrested Friday. He was already at the jail, one of 10 people arrested last week in a sweep of the Perry-Pembroke area by the members of the Fire Marshal’s Office and other law enforcement agencies. Farley was being held on a probation violation.
The arson charges stem from a fire on April 3, 2010, that destroyed a seasonal dwelling on the Ox Cove Road in Pembroke. Arson is a Class A crime, punishable by up to 30 years in prison and fines of $50,000.
McCausland said information indicating the two men were involved in the arson was developed during last week’s sweep. Members of the Fire Marshal’s Office, Maine State Police, Maine Forest Service, Calais Police Department, Pleasant Point Police Police Department and Washington County Sheriff’s Office have been jointly investigating dozens of fires and burglaries in the Perry, Pembroke and Pleasant Point areas of Washington County over the last two years.
McCausland said the investigation into the other fires is ongoing and anyone with information on them is asked to contact either Fire Marshal Investigator Tim Lowell at 532-5405 in Houlton; Maine Forest Service Sgt. Courtney Hammond at 800-987-0257; or Washington County Sheriff’s Lt. Travis Willey at 255-4422.
An earlier version of this article named both men. One of the men, however, was a juvenile when the crime occurred, so the District Attorney’s office later Friday dismissed the adult charge and is now considering juvenile charges.