June 20, 2018
Midcoast Latest News | Poll Questions | Fuddruckers | Opioid Sales | RCV Ballots

Molestation trial set for former Searsport teacher

Photo courtesy of Waldo County Jail
Photo courtesy of Waldo County Jail
William A. Wiley
By Abigail Curtis, BDN Staff

BELFAST — A trial date has been set for the former Searsport elementary school music teacher accused of child molestation.

William Wiley, 41, who was indicted in May 2009 on 10 counts of unlawful sexual contact and one count of gross sexual assault, is scheduled to go on trial Monday, April 25, in Waldo County Superior Court.

The jury for the expected two-day trial was selected Monday, and Superior Court Justice Ann Murray will preside.

Wiley has been released on bail while awaiting trial, an official with the Waldo County District Attorney’s Office said Wednesday.

According to police affidavits filed with the case in 2009, the alleged incidents took place over a six-month period in 2004 and began when the female victim was 12 years old.

The girl told Waldo County sheriff’s Detective Jason Bosco that the abuse began when she was in the seventh grade. She was not a student of Wiley’s.

The alleged victim, who now is an adult, is expected to testify during the trial, according to Happy Kearns, a victim witness advocate at the Waldo County Courthouse.

Bosco wrote in his affidavit that the abuse started with kissing and continued almost nightly with Wiley initially touching her, then exposing himself, then having her fondle him. The abuse ended when he attempted to have intercourse and she threatened to tell on him.

Bosco said that Wiley became emotional when being questioned and confessed that he had abused the girl. Bosco said that when he asked Wiley whether the victim had any reason to lie, he replied that “everything she said was the truth.”

He was booked at Waldo County Jail on April 15, 2009, and later released on $1,000 bail. He entered a plea of not guilty during his initial court appearance that May.

He was on paid administrative leave for several months after his arrest, then resigned his position in July 2009.

Have feedback? Want to know more? Send us ideas for follow-up stories.

You may also like