April 24, 2018
Bangor Latest News | Poll Questions | George H.W. Bush | Litchfield Homicide | Schoolhouse Fire

Old Town woman spits, assaults officer when arrested for theft

Photo courtesy of Bangor Police Department
Photo courtesy of Bangor Police Department
Melissa J. Lacasse
By Nok-Noi Ricker, BDN Staff

An Old Town woman who on Saturday afternoon was caught outside of Sears with store items she had not paid for became upset when she was arrested and assaulted the arresting officers and a store employee, Bangor police Lt. Steve Hunt said Sunday.

“She did not want to be handcuffed,” he said. “She was pushing and kicking — resisting arrest — and spitting.”

Melissa Lacasse, 29, was seen by store security leaving the store with a shopping cart filled with items worth $864, Sgt. Paul Edwards said on Monday. She was stopped hand held for police.

When Officers Kevin Haefele and Jamie Fanning interviewed her she told them that she had been arrested a couple weeks before for theft and when they decided to arrest her, Lacasse became agitated, Hunt said.

“Both officers had to control her as she became physically combative,” Edwards said. “The suspect also spit on a security officer.”

Officer Haefele was assaulted during the scuffle but did not require medical attention, the sergeant said.

Lacasse was charged felony assault on a police officer, as well as assault and theft. While being booked into Penobscot County Jail, it was discovered that she had prescription pills in her possession and was charged with felony trafficking in prison contraband.

If convicted of either the assault on a police officer or the trafficking in prison contraband, the most serious of the four charges, Lacasse could face a penalty of up to five years in prison and a fine of up to $5,000. She remained in jail Monday morning on $1,000 cash bail, a jail official said. (Nok-Noi Ricker, BDN)

A bumper sticker depicting a cartoon devil and a woman with exposed breasts in a sexual position was found to be offensive by someone eating at the Newport McDonald’s, who called police on Saturday evening to report pornography.

Cpl. David Wintle was dispatched to the fast-food restaurant at around 5:50 p.m., but by the time he arrived the vehicle with the bumper sticker was gone.

Wintle said that even if he had caught up with the vehicle he did not think the driver would face any charges.

“People are allowed” to display and wear items that others may find offensive, he said. “It’s freedom of speech.”

In his years as an officer, Wintle said, Saturday’s incident was the first time he had been dispatched to investigate bumper-sticker pornography. (Nok-Noi Ricker, BDN)

A taxicab driver who dropped off a University of Maine student at Estabrook Hall late Friday called police after the man refused to pay but left his backpack in the cab, Joe Carr, university spokesman, said Sunday.

UMaine police looked inside the bag and found the identification of Bradley Duquette, 20, who lives at Estabrook, and also alcohol. Police at around 11:45 p.m. Friday interviewed Duquette, who was uncooperative, and ended up charging him with disorderly conduct and illegal possession of alcohol by a minor. The cabdriver was paid and went on his way, Carr said.  (Nok-Noi Ricker, BDN)

A man driving down Sebec Road on the University of Maine campus early Sunday was stopped by UMaine police for driving without his lights on and was found to be driving drunk, spokesman Joe Carr said.

Daniel Sherman, 21, of Cornish was stopped at around 1:45 a.m. and given a field sobriety test that he failed, Carr said. He was charged with operating under the influence and taken to Penobscot County Jail in Bangor. Sherman was bailed out on Sunday, a jail official said. (Nok-Noi Ricker, BDN)

Rescue crews from Holden and Eddington were dispatched to Springy Pond Road in Clifton on Sunday afternoon to rescue a dog named Duncan, who had fallen through the ice of Springy Pond, and the man who went out to save him in a canoe, Lt. Gene Kelso of the Eddington Fire Department said Sunday evening.

By the time the first firetruck arrived at around 2:45 p.m., a neighbor of Duncan’s had pulled him from the water and already had returned to shore in the canoe, Kelso said. At that point, all of the other responding fire and rescue crews were called off. The neighbor, who was not identified, and the dog were checked out, and both appeared to be fine, he said.

Kelso said this is the second time this year that his department has been called out to assist with an ice rescue. (Nok-Noi Ricker, BDN)

Old Town police and rescue crews responded to an overdose call Friday night, but few details were available, Sgt. Michael Hashey said Saturday.

“I don’t have a full report on the overdose, other than confirmation that the person lived,” he said. The call for help was made to police around 8:45 p.m. (Nok-Noi Ricker, BDN)

A Bangor woman was charged with assault after police were called to a fight on Union Street on Friday night, Lt. Steve Hunt said Sunday.

Officer Tim Shaw responded, and after interviewing those involved, he charged Robyn Dennis, 47, with assault and also gave her a disorderly conduct warning. (Nok-Noi Ricker, BDN)

Have feedback? Want to know more? Send us ideas for follow-up stories.

You may also like