May 24, 2018
News Latest News | Poll Questions | Mark Eves | Any-Deer Permits | RCV Strategy

Japan slowly restores power following aftershock

By JAY ALABASTER, The Associated Press

ICHINOSEKI, Japan — Electrical power was slowly being restored in tsunami-ravaged northern Japan on Saturday after a strong aftershock, though more than a quarter-million homes remained in the dark.

A new wave of anxiety took hold as shoppers emptied store shelves and waited in long lines for gasoline after the magnitude-7.1 aftershock late Thursday.

It was another setback for those struggling to recover from the massive earthquake-spawned tsunami that wiped out hundreds of miles of the northeastern coast last month and killed as many as 25,000 people.

“I feel helpless. I am back to square one,” said Ryoichi Kubo, 52, who was forced to shut down his gas station in hard-hit Iwate prefecture when the aftershock knocked out power. He had just finally reopened after the power outage and prolonged fuel shortage that followed the March 11 tsunami.

Three people died in Thursday’s aftershock, the worst since the day of the massive magnitude-9.0 quake. The latest tremor largely spared the nation’s nuclear power plants, and there was no sign of fresh problems at the troubled Fukushima Dai-ichi complex, which has been spewing radiation since it was swamped by the tsunami.

Electricity remained out Saturday morning across parts of northern Japan, including areas far inland, and homes were without gas and water. Gasoline was again scarce.

Convenience stores sold out of basics such as water and snack foods, and supermarkets switched back to rationing purchases.

In Ichinoseki, 240 miles northeast of Tokyo, lines of 30 or more people formed outside the Marue supermarket when it opened at 9 a.m. Friday. With power out, each customer was escorted through the aisles by an employee with a flashlight and a pad, who jotted down the price of each item.

“I’m so tired. I just want to buy some chocolate,” said Yuka Sato, 27, who patiently waited in line with her neighbors.

About 275,000 households were still without electricity Saturday morning. That includes homes in prefectures in Japan’s northwest that had been spared in the March 11 quake.

Those killed by Thursday’s aftershock were a 79-year-old man who died of shock, a woman in her 60s who lost power to her oxygen tank and an 85-year-old man whose cause of death was not specified.

A tsunami warning was issued, but it was canceled about 90 minutes later. The aftershock was in about the same location as the original 9.0-magnitude quake, off the eastern coast and about 40 miles from Sendai, an industrial city on the eastern coast. It was strong enough to shake buildings for about a minute as far away as Tokyo, about 200 miles away.

For tens of thousands of people living in shelters because they lost their homes in the tsunami or were evacuated from the area near Fukushima Dai-ichi because of radiation concerns, or both, the aftershock was an unpleasant reminder of what they have been through.

Matsuko Ito said she screamed when the violent shaking woke her up around 11:30 p.m. She’s not sure she can take much more.

“It’s enough,” the 64-year-old said while smoking a cigarette outside the shelter where she has been living in the small northeastern city of Natori. “Something has changed. The world feels strange now. Even the way the clouds move isn’t right.”


Associated Press writers Shino Yuasa, Malcolm Foster, Ryan Nakashima and Mari Yamaguchi in Tokyo and Eric Talmadge in Minami Soma contributed to this report.


Have feedback? Want to know more? Send us ideas for follow-up stories.

You may also like