Milo man convicted for the sixth time of failing to comply with sex offender registry law

Posted April 05, 2011, at 6:28 p.m.
Last modified April 06, 2011, at 12:36 a.m.

MILO, Maine — A local man who was convicted of a sex offense and ordered to sign up with the Maine Sex Offender Registry has violated that order six times since his 2000 conviction.

Michael Slobuszewski, 31, of Milo was in Dover-Foxcroft District Court recently on the latest charge. But because it was considered a technical violation, the felony charge was reduced to a misdemeanor. As a result, Slobuszewski was fined $500.

’’I didn’t feel that a substantial penalty for this particular instance was warranted,’’ Piscataquis County District Attorney R. Christopher Almy said this week. Despite Slobuszewski’s earlier convictions, Almy said the latest offense wasn’t ‘’as if he was trying to avoid the registration.’’

But Almy pointed out that when Slobuszewski has committed more serious violations of the registry law, he has received jail time.

Donna Cote, supervisor of the Maine Sex Offender Registry, said this week that the State Bureau of Identification sends out verification letters every 90 days to lifetime sex offender registrants and letters every year to 10-year registrants. When the department fails to get a response to those letters, police are contacted to check to see whether there is a problem, she said. Sometimes, the problem is with the Postal Service, she noted.

Slobuszewski first failed to comply with the sex offender registry law in July 2001 and was fined $250. His second offense occurred in May 2007, and he again was fined $250.

Failure to comply with the sex offender registry act for a third time resulted in a felony conviction in October 2007, for which Slobuszewski was sentenced to 30 days in jail. That was followed by a conviction in June 2008 and 90 days in jail.

In November 2009, Slobuszewski once again failed to comply with the act and was sentenced to 18 months in jail. That conviction was followed by his latest conviction in November 2010.

The Legislature approved the formation of the registry in 2005, and it made the registry’s contents retroactive to 1982. The registry has been working diligently to include those old cases online, Cote said, adding that there are still thousands of cases to be reviewed.

Each old case must be reviewed to see whether the crime was a sex offense and whether it was a registrable offense.

The lag in reviewing those old criminal histories helped Donald Denbow, 68, of Shirley slip through the cracks. Denbow had been convicted in 1982 of sexually abusing his own daughter. He re-offended in 2009 by sexually abusing two young girls under his employment. He was convicted of 13 counts of gross sexual assault and one count of sexual abuse of a minor and was sentenced to prison last month.

Denbow’s file was one the registry had received about the same time the latest charges were lodged.

SEE COMMENTS →

ADVERTISEMENT | Grow your business
ADVERTISEMENT | Grow your business

Similar Articles

More in Piscataquis