Preparation Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 5 minutes
Number of Servings: 12
Serving Size: 1 burrito
¼ C scallions (green onions), rinsed and sliced into ¼-inch
wide circles, including green tops
¼ C celery, rinsed and finely diced
1¼ C frozen yellow corn
½ ripe avocado, peeled and diced
2 Tbsp fresh cilantro, chopped (or substitute 2 tsp dried coriander)
1 can (15½ oz) black beans, drained and rinsed
¼ C reduced-fat shredded cheddar cheese
¼ C salsa or taco sauce (look for lowest sodium version)
12 (9-inch) whole-wheat tortillas
- Preheat oven to 350 °F.
- Combine scallions, celery, and corn in a small saucepan. Add just enough water to cover.
- Cover, bring to a boil, and reduce heat to medium. Simmer for 5 minutes, until vegetables soften. Drain vegetables. Set aside to cool.
- Combine avocado, cilantro, and beans in a large mixing bowl. Add cheese and salsa, and mix.
- When corn mixture has cooled slightly, add to avocado mixture.
- In a large nonstick pan over medium heat, warm each tortilla about 15 seconds on each side. Place each tortilla on a flat surface. Spoon ? cup of the mixture into the center of the tortilla. Fold the top and bottom of the tortilla over the filling. Fold in the sides to make a closed packet.
- Repeat with the remaining tortillas.
- When all tortillas are wrapped, continue heating in the oven 5 minutes, until all are warm and cheese is melted.
Source: Deliciously Healthy Dinners
National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute; National Institutes of Health; U.S. Department of Health and Human Services