Buxton man, 85, dies after clothes catch fire while burning grass

Posted March 31, 2011, at 11:28 a.m.
Last modified March 31, 2011, at 3:12 p.m.

BUXTON, Maine — The Maine fire marshal’s office says an elderly man whose clothes caught fire while he was burning grass near his home has died.

Investigators say 85-year-old Frank Hebert suffered burns over 70 percent of his body Wednesday afternoon. He died early Thursday at Maine Medical Center in Portland.

Investigators say Hebert was burning grass on a steep embankment near his home in Buxton. Firefighters who went to the scene were able to put out the fire on Herbert’s clothing, but one firefighter suffered cuts and burns to both hands.

The fire burned about a half-acre, according to the release. The Maine Forest Service is assisting the fire marshal’s office with the investigation.

SEE COMMENTS →

ADVERTISEMENT | Grow your business
ADVERTISEMENT | Grow your business

Similar Articles

More in Portland