Fires in Searsport, Frankfort destroy two homes

Posted March 29, 2011, at 7:42 p.m.
Last modified March 30, 2011, at 8:53 a.m.

SEARSPORT, Maine — Area firefighters were kept busy Monday night battling two separate fires that demolished two homes in Searsport and Frankfort.

Chief Jim Dittmeier of the Searsport Fire Department said that his crew was called to the scene at approximately 10:30 p.m., and when he got there six minutes later, the fire already had engulfed the 200-year-old farmhouse.

Homeowners Ken and Janet Grant were home along with their two teenage children, he said, but apparently had been alerted to the fire by their dog. All four managed to escape uninjured.

Firefighters from Searsport, Prospect, Frankfort, West Frankfort and Stockton Springs worked to keep nearby buildings from catching fire, but at midnight many firefighters had to leave to go to another fire on Hall Lane in Frankfort.

That fire also destroyed a home, according to a Prospect fire official. No one was injured.

Dittmeier said that firefighting efforts were complicated by the strong winds that gusted Monday night.

“It was cold and very windy. The wind just ripped through that house,” he said.

The Grants were able to get their pets out of the house and Dittmeier placed a firetruck behind the home to protect a small barn that housed two Shetland ponies.

The Grants told Dittmeier that their home was insured. He believed that they spent the rest of the night with relatives and will be staying at their camp.

Efforts to reach Frankfort fire officials for information about that fire were not successful.

SEE COMMENTS →

ADVERTISEMENT | Grow your business
ADVERTISEMENT | Grow your business

Similar Articles

More in Midcoast