Ballot shapes up for Newburgh elections

Posted March 29, 2011, at 9:09 p.m.
Last modified March 30, 2011, at 8:52 a.m.

NEWBURGH, Maine — Five residents stepped up as candidates for two openings on the Board of Selectmen by Tuesday’s deadline for nomination petitions.

During the elections, set for April 13, voters will fill the remaining two years of former Chairman Leonard “Buddy” Belcher’s three-year term and the remaining one year of Leona Smith’s three-year term.

Though town office staff did not return telephone calls seeking a list of residents who qualified for next month’s elections, the town’s sole remaining selectman, Mike Burns, said Tuesday night that he had been at the town office shortly before it closed.

He said residents who filed nomination petitions for the two-year post were Steve Burgess and Cindy Prescott. Candidates for the one-year seat are Charles Gibbs, Jeff Watson and Craig Toothaker, Burns said.

The polls will be open 2-7 p.m. Wednesday, April 13, at the Newburgh School.

The two board seats opened when Belcher and Smith resigned during a March 14 board meeting.

Both former town officials indicated that they felt they had become scapegoats for the actions of former Deputy Treasurer Cindy Dunton, who stands accused of embezzling nearly $200,000 in town funds between 2006 and 2009.

Dunton last appeared in court in connection with the matter in January. She was tentatively scheduled for a disposition hearing on March 14, but the hearing was continued to a date that has yet to be set.

Burns, the sole remaining selectman, beat out incumbent Stanley “Skip” Smith in town elections on March 8. In his bid for election, Burns had the backing of Concerned Citizens of Newburgh, also known as “The “Fixers.”

Similar articles:

ADVERTISEMENT | Grow your business
ADVERTISEMENT | Grow your business