ROCKPORT — The Penobscot Bay YMCA encourages children and parents in the midcoast to attend a play date 10 a.m.-1 p.m. Saturday, April 16, at the Y and commit to being active every day as part of the YMCA’s Healthy Kids Day at the Y, 116 Union St. The event is free.Healthy Kids Day will feature its first Kick Up Your Heels for Kids Dash. Community members, families, organizations, leaders and role models such as firefighters, police officers, teachers, doctors and nurses are encouraged to form a team of four or fewer to run in the 50-yard dash. Registration will begin at 9:30 a.m. Saturday, April 16, in the YMCA parking lot. The dash will begin at 10 a.m. Preregister by stopping by the Y or calling 236-3375. The dash will be held in the YMCA parking lot rain or shine. There is no fee to register; however, if a team wants to participate, the YMCA will collect donations of basketballs, dodge balls, large kickballs and hula hoops.The Camden Hills Regional High School Windjammers state champions will make a special guest appearance for a shoot-around and autographs. Other activities will include recycled crafts, healthy snacks, climbing wall, dance workshop, teddy bear checks, obstacle course in the gym, fun and games in the pool, and swim assessments.As part of Healthy Kids Day, the Y encourages families to make play dates every day as a simple way to become healthier, more active and connected. The Penobscot Bay YMCA recommends five simple activities families can do to play together:
- Schedule a game night and play games with the kids that incorporate physical activity.
- Turn on your favorite party music and dance. Make it more fun with a dance contest.
- Go riding. Find a new bike path or park for a fun afternoon outdoors, or go rollerblading.
- Play hopscotch, jump rope, Simon Says or freeze tag with your children.
- Play outside and visit a neighborhood park or camp out in your backyard. Get everyone moving with fun sports, such as soccer, basketball or baseball.
For more information, call Penobscot Bay YMCA at 236-3375 or visit www.penbayymca.org.