BELFAST — The Troy Howard Middle School Science MAINEiacs competed in the State Middle School Science Olympiad Tournament held March 12 at the University of Maine. The Science MAINEiacs took home nine gold medals, three silver medals and four bronze medals, winning 16 medals out of 18 events. Their first-place victory has qualified them to represent Maine at the National Science Olympiad Tournament at the University of Wisconsin in Madison from May 19 to 21.
Gold medal first-place winners and events
- Awesome Aquifers: Jordon Bickford and Patrick Groening.
- Fossils: Lucie Bonneville and Leander Andrews.
- Road Scholar: Rick Wyman and Peter Spectre.
- Tower Building: Andrew Goguen.
- Dynamic Planet: Leander Andrews and Patrick Groening.
- Crime Busters: Katy King and Jessica Clapp.
- Anatomy: Peter Spectre and Andrew Goguen.
- Trajectory: Caleb Wallace and Taran Evans-Moran.
- Battery Buggy: Zane Bielenberg and Nolan Woods.
Silver medal second-place winners and events
- Can’t Judge a Powder (chemistry): Lucie Bonneville and Hannah Greene.
- Meteorology (severe storms): Hannah Greene and Rick Wyman.
- Bottle Rocket: Rick Wyman and Peter Spectre.
Bronze medal third-place winners and events
- Solar System: Caleb Wallace and Taran Evans-Moran.
- Ecology: Lucie Bonneville and Hannah Greene.
- Microbe Mission: Katy King and Jessica Clapp.
- Optics: Katy King and Leander Andrews.
The students worked from September until the competition to prepare for the tournament.
Serving the team were community mentors Kim Spectre, Scott Hall, Joe Woods, Richard Wyman, David Sprague and THMS teachers Jon Thurston, Beth Haynes, Steve Groening, Glen Widmer, Kelley Littlefield, David Lawrence and Jessica Gal. Team parents also supported their children in the endeavor.
In an effort to raise the $13,000 needed to travel to nationals and to encourage more student interest in science and engineering, the Science MAINEiacs are available to give presentations to community or school groups. To schedule a presentation, team coach contact Jacquie Kahn at email@example.com or 338-3510, ext. 316. Donations may be mailed to: The THMS Science Olympiad Team, 173 Lincolnville Ave., Belfast 04915.