April 24, 2018
Bangor Latest News | Poll Questions | Waffle House Hero | Royal Baby | Stoned Pets

Bangor man gets 10 months for stabbing man, assaulting officer, beating girlfriend

By Nok-Noi Ricker, BDN Staff

BANGOR, Maine — A Bangor man who stabbed a Bradford man, assaulted a police officer and beat his girlfriend after consuming alcohol late last year pleaded no contest Thursday to three charges and was sentenced to four years behind bars, with all but 10 months suspended.

Before Andrew S. Borg, 36, entered the pleas, Michael Roberts, deputy district attorney for Penobscot County, downgraded the Class A elevated aggravated assault charge against the defendant to Class B aggravated assault because there was no serious bodily injury in the stabbing, he said.

Borg, who has a long history of domestic violence, wore a red jailhouse jumpsuit in court at the Penobscot Judicial Center, an indication that he is a maximum-security inmate. He entered no contest pleas to the felony aggravated assault charge, as well as to domestic violence assault, a Class D crime, and Class C assault on a police officer before District Court Judge Bruce Jordan.

Two other charges — aggravated assault and criminal threatening — were dropped.

In addition to the jail time, the judge sentenced Borg to two years of probation after his release. Jordan also barred Borg from contacting the man he stabbed or the woman he beat in December.

Borg and the two victims were drinking at an apartment at 165 Hammond St., which is in an apartment building located on the corner of Hammond and Ohio streets, on Dec. 21, 2010, when he began acting strangely, Roberts said.

He started fighting with the 32-year-old male victim and pulled out a bat, which the victim took away from him just before Borg stabbed him, Roberts said. The male victim took off, and when the female victim entered the room “the defendant knocked her to the floor and then began punching her,” he said.

Police were dispatched to the apartment for a report of a fight involving a knife, Bangor police Sgt. Paul Edwards said at the time.

Officers Tim Shaw and Jim Dearing arrived first and “noticed a large amount of blood in the common hallway” of the apartment house, he said.

The officers confronted Borg, who “wielded a baseball bat at the officers,” Edwards said.

Borg eventually surrendered the bat to Shaw and Dearing, but he became combative when they tried to arrest him.

“During the struggle to arrest Mr. Borg, he was grounded by the officers but continued to fight and was able to kick a large cast-iron radiator that was unsecured against a wall,” Edwards said. The radiator fell onto Dearing’s legs.

Dearing’s left leg was broken and he was carried out of the building by fellow officers and taken to Eastern Maine Medical Center.

Borg’s attorney, Matthew Erickson of Brewer, said Borg never intended to injure the officer.

“My client had no intention of trying to knock over the radiator,” he said. “He was just trying to get free.”

He also said Borg “doesn’t remember” much about the incident.

The blood in the hallway came from the Bradford man, who suffered “stab wounds to his upper torso that were not life-threatening,” Edwards said in December. “The female assault victim did not need treatment.”

Dearing is still out on medical leave but will be returning to work soon, the sergeant said Thursday.

“He’s going to return to work April 4,” Edwards said.

Have feedback? Want to know more? Send us ideas for follow-up stories.

You may also like