PORTLAND, Maine — A former Damariscotta man who was the focus of a two-week federal manhunt late last spring has been sentenced to 17½ years in prison Wednesday for escape and possession of a firearm after having been convicted of a felony.
U.S. District Judge George Z. Singal imposed the sentence after 60-year-old Wayne N. Collamore’s guilty plea in December of last year.
According to court records, Collamore on May 28, 2010, escaped from the Pharos House, a halfway house in Portland where he was completing an earlier federal sentence for possession of a firearm by a felon.
Collamore, who apparently walked away from the unsecured halfway house, had been spotted in the Lincoln County town of Nobleboro on June 3. At the time, U.S. marshals described him as dangerous and said that he had a history of hiding in woods, breaking into vacant homes and stealing vehicles.
On June 10, U.S. marshals found the federal fugitive asleep at the wheel of a car in a parking lot in Owls Head Light State Park. They arrested him and seized a loaded .22-caliber handgun from the front seat of the car, which had been reported stolen from Round Pond in Lincoln County earlier in the day, U.S. Marshal Noel March said shortly after Collamore’s capture.
“The deputies were able to take advantage of the element of surprise,” March said. He said Collamore was arrested at gunpoint, which was justified given Collamore’s extensive criminal history, including his conviction for being a felon in possession of a firearm.
“He offered no resistance,” March said.
In imposing the prison sentence, the court found that Collamore qualified as an “armed career criminal” because he previously had been convicted of at least three violent crimes. Court records list 10 previous felony convictions.
The investigation that led to the sentencing was conducted by the U.S. Marshal’s Service, the U.S. Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives, the Maine State Police and the Lincoln County Sheriff’s Department.