A trip to Grandma’s house for cookies, milk … and medicine? Poison-proof your home

By Karen E. Simone, Special to the BDN
Posted March 21, 2011, at 2:35 p.m.

A trip to grandma and grandpa’s house is usually a fun-filled adventure for children of all ages. However, sometimes the visit has toxic, and tragic, consequences.

Grandparents’ homes present unique hazards for toddlers. Many grandparents are out of the habit of poison-proofing their homes, since their own children have grown up and moved on. In addition, grandparents may have health conditions that require medications. Some of these medications can cause serious poisoning if a toddler swallows just one tablet or capsule. The places that grandparents store medications are often exciting to explore: purses, pill reminder boxes and pill bottles.

Household cleaners, pesticides and other chemicals are also a problem. Storing non-food in the same places and similar containers as food and drinks can lead to poisonings of children as well as adults.

Here are some common but preventable poisoning scenarios:

Fortunately, there are steps grandparents can take to make their homes safer when grandchildren visit. Here are some tips:

For more information about poison prevention contact the Northern New England Poison Center at Maine Medical Center in Portland, online at www.mmc.org or by phone at 800-222-1222.

Karen E. Simone is the director of the Northern New England Poison Center in Portland.

http://bangordailynews.com/2011/03/21/health/a-trip-to-grandma%e2%80%99s-house-for-cookies-milk-and-medicine-poison-proof-your-home/ printed on October 23, 2014