STETSON, Maine — A couple lost their home in an early morning fire Friday that started in an attached barn and spread to the living quarters of their century-old two-story farmhouse.
Stetson Fire Chief Kim Tracy said the fire started around midnight at the home of Roland and Mona Booker. The couple were sleeping at the time and were awakened by a passer-by who spotted the flames, Tracy said.
Crews responded quickly and knocked the fire down in about an hour and a half, the chief said.
Part of the house remained standing, which would allow the Bookers to salvage some possessions, but Tracy said the home is no longer livable.
The couple have insurance, but the chief did not know if they would rebuild. The Bookers are staying with family members in town.
Tracy traced the origin of the fire to the barn and said the cause likely was related to an electrical problem. Since the fire is not suspicious, the Stetson chief said, the State Fire Marshal’s Office would not investigate.
Firefighters from 10 area towns helped contain the flames and many stayed until 6 a.m. dealing with smoldering rubble and collapsing walls, according to Tracy.