May 22, 2018
News Latest News | Poll Questions | Lunch Debt | Robert Indiana | Stolen Shed

State Department offers contact information in wake of earthquake, tsunami

The Associated Press

WASHINGTON — U.S. Rep. Mike Michaud, D-Maine, passed along Friday the following information regarding how the State Department can help Americans worried about the whereabouts of loved ones after the massive earthquake and tsunami in Japan.

“What terrible news to wake up to today,” Michaud said in a prepared statement. “I am confident that the U.S. government will make every preparation necessary to protect Americans in Hawaii and our west coast as well as provide humanitarian assistance to the people of Japan as they struggle to cope with this disaster and its aftermath. My thoughts and prayers are with everyone affected.”

Consular assistance to U.S. Citizens in Japan

Online Information: Monitor and the Embassy Tokyo websites for the latest updates.

  1. Anyone with concerns about a specific U.S. citizen in Japan should send an e-mail to
  2. Anyone with concerns about a specific U.S. citizen in the Tsunami zone outside of Japan, should send an e-mail to
  3. E-mail inquiries are strongly preferred, but people may call the State Department’s emergency assistance center at 1-888-407-4747 (Calling from outside the U.S.+ 1-202-501-4444) if they are unable to use e-mail.

Department of Defense personnel inquiries

  1. U.S. Forces Japan reports that all personnel have been accounted for, and there are no reports of injuries.
  2. The Department of Defense instructs that family members of Department of Defense personnel should call 1-800-342-9647 to inquire about their loved ones or contact the individual unit command directly for more specific information.

Japanese and other citizens

  1. Anyone wishing information regarding a Japanese citizen should contact the nearest Japanese Embassy (Washington – 202-238-6700) or Consulate.
  2. Requests for information regarding a citizen of a third country should be made to that country’s embassy or consulate. Contact information for foreign embassies and consulates in the United States is available in the country specific Information links at:

Have feedback? Want to know more? Send us ideas for follow-up stories.

You may also like