BANGOR, Maine — Relatives of Robin Oja and her 11-year-old daughter, whose apartment was badly damaged in an accidental fire early Wednesday morning, are seeking assistance from the community in their effort to get the family back on their feet.
Charles Smith of Bangor, who is Oja’s nephew, said the Pine Tree Chapter of the American Red Cross temporarily has put the family up at a local inn.
He said that the woman, who is suffering from terminal cancer, and her daughter lost almost everything they own when fire broke out in their apartment at Sunset Meadows, located at 80 Sunset Ave., shortly after 1 a.m. Wednesday.
Smith said the few things they managed to save included photographs and Oja’s daughter’s baby book.
Smith said Oja is seeking clothing for her daughter as well as a book bag and school supplies. The girl’s clothing sizes are 10-12 for tops and pants, size 3 for shoes and boots, size 10 for underwear and size 9-10 for socks.
Oja is in need of a neck warmer and +2.50 magnification reading glasses, Smith said.
Anyone who can help by providing clothing, toiletries, gift cards or financial help can call Smith at 659-2763 to arrange pickup or delivery.