May 22, 2018
Aroostook Latest News | Poll Questions | Marijuana Ties | Mary Mayhew | Car Theft

Fan likely caused Fort Fairfield fire

By Jen Lynds, BDN Staff

FORT FAIRFIELD, Maine — The chief of the Fort Fairfield Fire Department said Tuesday that a malfunctioning fan most likely started a fire that caused approximately $20,000 in damage to a Cheney Grove Road business.

Fire Chief Paul Durepo said that Sunday’s fire at Boralex, an electrical power generation company, summoned firefighters from four towns, including Fort Fairfield, Caribou, Presque Isle and Limestone. Approximately 40 firefighters spent three hours at the facility.

No one was injured as a result of the fire.

Employees working at the facility spotted smoke and flames and contacted the Fire Department.

Durepo said that when firefighters arrived, they saw dust and sawdust on the third and fourth floors of the facility in flames. The fire had spread to some electrical equipment.

The chief said that he believes a fan at the facility malfunctioned and helped spread the flames into nearby areas. There will be no further investigation.

Have feedback? Want to know more? Send us ideas for follow-up stories.

You may also like