May 24, 2018
Lewiston-Auburn Latest News | Poll Questions | Sharon Carrillo | Elver Season | Goat Airbnb

Man, dog burned in grease fire in Lewiston

By Staff, Lewiston Sun Journal

LEWISTON, Maine — A man and a pregnant dog each suffered burns Friday afternoon when a grease fire flared out of control in an apartment on Walnut Street.

A fire investigator said the grease fire at 106 Walnut St. filled a first-floor apartment and a hallway with smoke at about 2:30 p.m., according to a report in the Sun Journal of Lewiston.

A man who rushed down from the second floor to help suffered burns to both arms and his face, Fire Inspector Paul Ouellette said.

The victim, Doug Humphrey, 47, also suffered smoke inhalation while battling the flames. He was taken to a Lewiston hospital for treatment and later released.

Ouellette said the dog, a Pomeranian-pug mix, was burned by splashing grease as the pan was carried out of the apartment. The dog was treated by a veterinarian.

Have feedback? Want to know more? Send us ideas for follow-up stories.

You may also like