Portland hotel evacuated because of carbon monoxide, seven people taken to hospital

Bangor Daily News
Posted March 04, 2011, at 3:50 p.m.

PORTLAND, Maine — Fire officials say seven people were taken to hospitals because of high carbon monoxide levels reported at a Portland hotel.

Fire Chief Fred LaMontagne says none of the guests and workers at the Residence Inn had life-threatening levels of carbon monoxide. But he says those with elevated levels were taken to hospitals as a precaution.

Fire officials were alerted Friday afternoon. He says firefighters recorded carbon monoxide levels 10 times the safe limit set by federal workplace safety officials.

The hotel was evacuated.

He says that for some reason exhaust from the hotel’s heating system on the roof was being sucked back into the ventilation system. He says the problem was being fixed and the hotel was expected to reopen late Friday afternoon.

http://bangordailynews.com/2011/03/04/news/portland-hotel-evacuated-because-of-carbon-monoxide-seven-people-taken-to-hospital/ printed on March 23, 2017