September 24, 2017
Portland Latest News | Poll Questions | Hurricane Maria | Orion Krause | Obamacare

Elderly Maine woman dies in Waterboro fire

The Associated Press
Updated:

WATERBORO, Maine — The Maine Fire Marshal’s Office says the most likely cause of a fire that killed an 86-year-old Waterboro woman was wood stored too close to the wood stove in the basement of her home.

Officials say Cecile Morey died of smoke inhalation Wednesday. Neighbors had tried to rescue her, but they were unable to remove a screen from her bedroom window to get her out.

The fire was ruled an accident.

Morey’s 17-year-old granddaughter Kaitlin Merrill was treated for smoke inhalation after she escaped the burning house through a basement window.

The teenager then ran to a neighbor’s house for help.


Did we get something wrong? Please, Let us know, submit a correction.

You may also like