BAILEYVILLE, Maine — A Calais man has been taken into custody and is facing multiple criminal charges after he allegedly was shot in an apparent armed robbery attempt Monday morning, according to police.
Michael Bailey, 27, is accused of robbing eight people Saturday night at a home in Baring and then of trying to rob another man early Monday at a home in Baileyville, according to Baileyville police Chief Shawn Donahue.
Bailey was taken into custody by police Monday morning when officers stopped his vehicle on Route 214 in Pembroke. Bailey suffered a nonlife-threatening gunshot wound to his face and was taken to Calais Regional Hospital, Donahue said. Bailey later was transferred to Eastern Maine Medical Center in Bangor, where he remained in custody late Monday afternoon.
Bailey is facing charges of armed robbery, burglary and aggravated reckless conduct, the chief said. Also facing the same charges is Amanda Fowler, 27, of Calais, who was with Bailey at the time of his arrest. Donahue declined to provide details of what Fowler’s role had been in the two incidents.
More charges may be pending against Bailey and Fowler, Donahue said.
Police from multiple agencies began looking Sunday morning for Bailey after six people went to the Calais Police Department station to report they had been held hostage and robbed the night before, according to a prepared statement released Monday afternoon by Donahue.
According to the statement, four people were at a mobile home on Meadow Lane in Baring around 7:30 p.m. Saturday when a masked man with a gun entered the home and threatened to shoot them if they did “anything stupid.”
Four other people arrived at the mobile home during the incident, not knowing what was going on or that they would be robbed, according to police. Of those four, the first two people showed up by chance and also were taken hostage. Then, after Bailey allegedly ordered a resident to call and invite another man to the mobile home, two more people arrived and were held with the others at gunpoint, police indicated.
During the incident, a firearm was discharged in the mobile home and death threats were made before Bailey fled with an undisclosed amount of money, police indicated in the statement. Donahue declined to identify who is suspected of firing the gun or of making the threats.
All eight people were robbed and held for about half an hour before Bailey left, according to police. Victims later told police that Bailey was the armed robber and that Fowler was his accomplice, police indicated.
Then, at around 6 a.m. Monday, police received a report of shots fired at a home on Houlton Road in Baileyville. A man who lives there told police he had exchanged gunfire with a masked gunman around 4 a.m. but that the gunman then ran away. The resident called police a few minutes after his home was hit again by gunfire, police said.
Officers from Baileyville and Calais police departments, Washington County Sheriff’s Department, U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement, and Maine State Police responded to the call, Donahue said in the statement.
Around midmorning, Maine State Police Trooper Timothy McCadden spotted a vehicle police had been looking for on Route 214. With assistance from Lt. Travis WIlley of the sheriff’s department, the officers stopped the vehicle and took Bailey and Fowler into custody without further incident, police indicated.
Donahue declined to identify the make and model of the vehicle Bailey was driving, but said police have seized two vehicles as a result of the investigation.
Police recovered “a large amount of evidence” from different locations as part of the investigation, according to the statement.
The Baileyville Police Department and Maine State Police are working together on the investigation. Donahue said he does not know when either Bailey or Fowler are expected to make their first appearance in court on the charges.