12 homeless after Jay apartment building fire

The Associated Press
Posted Feb. 18, 2011, at 8:06 a.m.

JAY, Maine — A Maine fire investigator says the fire that destroyed a Jay apartment building was started by a 2-year-old boy in a second floor bedroom.

No one was hurt in the Thursday morning fire, but 12 people in three families were left homeless.

Jay Assistant Fire Chief Mike Booker says the building was a total loss.

Forty firefighters from six towns battled the blaze until early Thursday afternoon.

State Fire Marshal investigator Edward Hastings IV told the Sun Journal newspaper the fire was started by the toddler, but he did not say how the fire was started.

http://bangordailynews.com/2011/02/18/news/lewiston-auburn/12-homeless-after-jay-apartment-building-fire/ printed on September 21, 2014