November 21, 2017
News Latest News | Poll Questions | Charles Manson | North Korea | Sexual Harassment

Tool spark cause of garage fire in Milford

By Dawn Gagnon, BDN Staff

MILFORD, Maine — A fire that caused extensive damage to a Bullen Street machine shop and most of its contents early Saturday afternoon was deemed accidental, a local fire official confirmed Monday.
Milford Fire Chief Chris Matson said the fire was caused by a spark from cutting torches that owner Peter Soucie had been using.
The spark ignited nearby combustible material, causing a fire that burned most of the shop and endangered Soucie’s nearby two-story house.
Matson said firefighters from Milford and several nearby communities were able to save the house and a rear section of the machine shop that housed two large generators and an outside wood boiler.
The shop was uninsured, Matson said. He estimated damage to the shop, equipment, tools and other contents at between $80,000 and $100,000.


Have feedback? Want to know more? Send us ideas for follow-up stories.

You may also like