October 24, 2017
Mid-Maine Latest News | Poll Questions | Haunted Maine | Bald Eagles | Medicaid Expansion

Unrecognizable gadget sparks fire in Pittsfield

Bangor Daily News
Updated:

PITTSFIELD, Maine — A battery-powered electrical device was to blame for a minor fire Tuesday in Pittsfield.
Pittsfield Fire Chief Bernard Williams said there was smoke in the 798 Canaan Road home of Bonnie Decker when firefighters arrived.
The source of the smoke was found to be a smoldering mattress in an upstairs bedroom. After dousing and removing the mattress, according to Williams, firefigthers found a hole burned in the floor and the unrecognizable remains of an electrical gadget.
“Nobody there could tell me what it was and no one said they’d ever seen it before,” said Williams, who said he didn’t deem the fire suspicious. “I don’t know how the fire didn’t spread more than it did.”
Most of the damage was confined to the bedroom where the fire started, with light smoke damage in the rest of the upstairs.
Williams said the fire was reported at about 5:45 p.m. by Decker, who discovered it when she returned from an errand in Skowhegan.


Have feedback? Want to know more? Send us ideas for follow-up stories.

You may also like