May 23, 2018
News Latest News | Poll Questions | Mark Eves | Any-Deer Permits | RCV Strategy

Man in NH break-in fatally shot with own gun

The Associated Press

WARNER, N.H. — A man who died after breaking into a home and terrorizing the elderly homeowner was shot in the head with his own gun, the Attorney General’s Office said Thursday.

The New Hampshire Attorney General’s Office said the man — whom police have not been able to identify — died of a single gunshot from his own gun after breaking into the Warner home of Gordon Smith, 82, early Sunday.

Investigators have not determined who pulled the trigger, the intruder or Smith.

“We’re going to do tests, but we may never know,” said Senior Assistant Attorney General Susan Morrell, adding that Smith is still recovering from “hours of being terrorized in his home by an intruder.”

The Attorney General’s Office said the man held Smith against his will and at times assaulted him. After several hours, the man threatened Smith with a handgun.

The Attorney General’s Office said the man put the gun to his own head and grabbed Smith’s hand, pulling it toward the weapon. The man was fatally shot in the head when the gun discharged. Smith was not hurt by the gunfire.

Authorities are seeking the public’s help in identifying the man. They say he was in his 20s to 30s and had four tattoos on his arms: a typewriter on his left forearm; the words “be here” on the inside of his left wrist; the word “ques” on the back of his right arm, above his elbow; and the words “to love me” on the inside of his right wrist.

Smith’s son Dave said Thursday his father is “doing pretty well — as well as he can be.” He said his father was not prepared yet to comment.

“He’s just trying to cope with coming home,” Dave Smith said. He said his father has been living with another son during the course of the investigation and while relatives work on cleaning the house.

Have feedback? Want to know more? Send us ideas for follow-up stories.

You may also like