Trippy Hippy owner lands back in jail

Posted Jan. 10, 2011, at 9:11 p.m.
Last modified Jan. 30, 2011, at 11:31 a.m.

DEXTER, Maine — Trippy Hippy owner Gavin Finnerty, 42, is back in jail for violating the conditions that allowed for his release last week after he and a female friend were arrested for alleged drug violations.

Dexter police Officer Kevin Wintle said Finnerty was arrested Saturday at his Prospect Street home after Officers Gary Morin, Dave Leighton and Dana Gatcomb conducted a bail check and found Finnerty in possession of alcohol.

Finnerty and Alyssa Knowles, 19, were arrested on Dec. 30 after a search warrant was executed at the couple’s home and at the Trippy Hippy Co. by the Maine Drug Enforcement Agency and Dexter police.

Officers seized 1.9 pounds of marijuana, 12 BuSpar anti-anxiety pills, five Xanax pills and $179 in cash at Finnerty and Knowles’ home. Two sets of scales with marijuana residue, $781 in cash, business ledgers that appear to record drug transactions, a set of brass knuckles with knife blades, and a switchblade knife were seized at the business, according to the MDEA

Finnerty, a self-proclaimed head shop owner, was charged with a Class C count and a Class D count of unlawful trafficking in Schedule Z drugs (marijuana). Knowles was charged with a Class C count and a Class D count of unlawful trafficking in Schedule Z drugs (marijuana) and a Class B count of unlawful trafficking in Schedule W drugs (hydrocodone).

Both posted bail from those earlier charges and were released from the Penobscot County Jail. Knowles was released on $1,500 cash bail on Jan. 7. Finnerty, who was released on $100 cash bail, was not to possess alcohol as part of his bail conditions, which resulted in his latest arrest.

According to Trippy Hippy’s MySpace page, the shop offers a wide variety of tobacco pipes and accessories as well as hippie clothing. An advertisement on the page claims “there is something to satisfy every freak and/or hippy.”

The pair are scheduled to make their initial court appearances on Feb. 16 at the Penobscot Judicial Center in Bangor.