May 26, 2018
Bangor Latest News | Poll Questions | Farm Bill | Memorial Day | Pigs Buried

Bangor man remains jailed in assault on sister and her children

By Judy Harrison, BDN Staff

BANGOR, Maine — A local man who allegedly assaulted three of his relatives remained at the Penobscot County Jail on Wednesday night unable to post $10,000 cash bail.

Dennis Wood, 46, of Bangor made his first appearance Wednesday afternoon before District Court Judge Bruce Jordan at the Penobscot Judicial Center on charges of being a felon in possession of a firearm, domestic violence assault, two counts of assault and violation of a protection order.

He did not enter a plea.

Wood was arrested at an apartment on Union Street about 8:40 p.m. Tuesday, a little more than two hours after Bangor police were called to his sister’s Langley Street residence for a report that Wood was assaulting his sister and had struck her two children, ages 10 and 18, when they intervened to help her, Bangor police Sgt. Larry Weber said Tuesday.

Wood fled the scene because he has a criminal record and was afraid he would be arrested, Weber said.

Weber said the Police Department sent its special response team to Langley Street because of Wood’s record, and because it wasn’t clear whether he was still inside his sister’s apartment or whether he had a weapon. After determining that Wood no longer was there, police went to a nearby Union Street residence, where they found Wood, who was arrested without further incident, Weber said.

Stephen Burlock, assistant district attorney for Penobscot County, said he was requesting the high cash bail Wednesday based on the seriousness of the charges and Wood’s criminal record, which includes convictions for drug possession, theft, burglary and operating after revocation.

Bangor lawyer James Diehl, who represented Wood at Wednesday’s hearing, asked that for the purposes of bail, the judge disregard the felony gun possession charge and set bail based on the misdemeanor assault charges and the violation of a protection order charge, also a misdemeanor.

“The information on which the gun charge is based is not related to the incident for which he was arrested,” Diehl told the judge. “The night of the incident there is nothing to suggest that anyone saw a weapon, and no gun has been found.”

Conditions of Wood’s release include no contact with the three alleged victims or the person living at the Union Street residence where Wood was arrested. In addition, he was forbidden from possessing firearms and dangerous weapons.

Wood is scheduled to appear in court again on March 10. His jury trial has been scheduled tentatively for April 4.

If convicted, he faces up to five years in prison and a fine of up to $5,000 on the firearms charge. If convicted on the other charges, he faces up to a year in jail and a fine of up to $2,000 on each count.

BDN reporter Dawn Gagnon contributed to this report.

Have feedback? Want to know more? Send us ideas for follow-up stories.

You may also like