DA to investigate Winterport break-in, assault

By Abigail Curtis, BDN Staff
Posted Jan. 04, 2011, at 8:47 p.m.

WINTERPORT, Maine — Police said Tuesday that an alleged assault with a minicrowbar over the weekend at a Winterport home has been referred to the District Attorney’s Office for further investigation.

Waldo County Sheriff’s Office deputies responded at 3:15 p.m. Sunday to a report that a man had forced open the front door of a residence on Boston Road. While inside, the man allegedly assaulted one occupant — a man who was in bed — with a weapon that resembled a minicrowbar, according to Chief Deputy Robert Keating.

“By the time the officers arrived, the intruder had left,” Keating said.

Officers did find the man who allegedly had been assaulted.

“It appears there definitely was an assault,” he said.

The man did not suffer life-threatening injuries and apparently did not need to be treated at the hospital, Keating said.

Deputies David Mushrall, Darrin Moody, Sgt. Dale Brown and Detective Matt Curtis all responded.

Although an officer located the alleged assailant Monday and interviewed him, he was not charged with any crime, Keating said.

http://bangordailynews.com/2011/01/04/news/da-to-investigate-winterport-breakin-assault/ printed on August 2, 2014