Limestone teen accused of killing 3-month-old daughter seeks new attorney

Nicklas Jones (right) cries next to his attorney, Anthony Trask, as District Court Judge Ronald Daigle rules that Jones, 18, will be tried as an adult in connection with the death of his 3-month-old daughhter last year. Jones was 17 when he was charged with manslaughter after he allegedly threw his daughter into her crib on April 23, 2009, to stop her from crying. BANGOR DAILY NEWS PHOTO BY JEN LYNDS
Nicklas Jones (right) cries next to his attorney, Anthony Trask, as District Court Judge Ronald Daigle rules that Jones, 18, will be tried as an adult in connection with the death of his 3-month-old daughhter last year. Jones was 17 when he was charged with manslaughter after he allegedly threw his daughter into her crib on April 23, 2009, to stop her from crying. BANGOR DAILY NEWS PHOTO BY JEN LYNDS
Posted Jan. 03, 2011, at 8:46 p.m.
Last modified Jan. 28, 2011, at 12:17 p.m.

CARIBOU, Maine — Additional hearings in the case against a Limestone teenager who is accused of manslaughter in connection with the death of his 3-month-old daughter in 2009 are on hold while a new lawyer is found to defend him.

Nicklas Jones of Limestone was 17 when he allegedly threw his daughter, Joselyn Jones, into her crib to stop her from crying. After a two-day hearing last May, a judge determined that Jones, now 18, would be tried as an adult rather than as a juvenile.

Jones was indicted by the Aroostook County grand jury last July and has pleaded not guilty to the manslaughter charge.

Assistant Attorney General Andrew Benson said Monday that proceedings in the case will move forward once a new attorney is found for Jones.

Benson said that Anthony Trask, who was representing Jones, has chosen to leave the Presque Isle law firm of Currier and Trask and no longer will be available to represent the teenager. A secretary at the firm said Tuesday that Trask has relocated to southern Maine.

“So we are just waiting for another attorney to be found to represent him,” Benson said of Jones.

According to testimony in the case, Jones told police that on April 23, 2009, he threw his daughter into her crib to stop her from crying and that she hit her head. The baby died four days later at Eastern Maine Medical Center in Bangor of blunt force trauma to the head. Jones was arrested on May 1, 2009, and pleaded not guilty to a charge of manslaughter in Caribou District Court shortly afterward. He was held at Mountain View Correctional Facility in Charleston for more than a year until the May hearing was held to determine how the teenager would be tried.

In May, Jones’ bail was set at $50,000 surety or $10,000 cash with numerous conditions, including that he report weekly to law enforcement and abstain from using drugs and alcohol.

He made bail in early summer and remains free, Benson said Monday.

Benson said that he believes Jones wants to move forward with a trial, but that additional hearings will not be held until a new attorney is found to represent him.

“At this point, there may not be a trial in the case until next summer,” Benson said.

SEE COMMENTS →

ADVERTISEMENT | Grow your business
ADVERTISEMENT | Grow your business

Similar Articles

More in State