Principal discovers fuel leak at Mary Snow School

Posted Dec. 30, 2010, at 11:32 p.m.

BANGOR, Maine — An administrator at Mary Snow School prevented what could have been a worse fuel spill Thursday evening when he stopped by his office to pick up something in his desk.

The spill was discovered at about 6:30 p.m. and reported by Principal Michael Missbrenner, who detected a strong fuel odor and called for help, Bangor Assistant Fire Chief Darrell Cyr said Thursday night.

Cyr deemed the discovery “big-time lucky” because the school, located at 435 Broadway, is closed this week for annual winter break. He said 10 to 20 gallons of heating fuel spilled onto the concrete floor of the school’s basement.

Though the cause of the spill had not been officially determined Thursday night, Cyr said it appeared that it could have been the result of a malfunction involving a fuel line. He said firefighters used absorbent pads to soak up the spilled fuel.

Cyr said it was not clear how much No. 2 heating fuel the school’s underground tank was holding at the time. He said the fuel is used for heating water and that the school’s heating system uses natural gas.

Personnel from the Maine Department of Environmental Protection were sent to the school to determine whether any fuel made its way into the drainage system.

SEE COMMENTS →

ADVERTISEMENT | Grow your business
ADVERTISEMENT | Grow your business

Similar Articles

More in Bangor