Belfast sheriff’s office to go out to bid in February

Posted Dec. 28, 2010, at 10:09 p.m.

BELFAST, Maine — Waldo County commissioners learned Tuesday during a commissioners court session that the controversial new sheriff’s office and Emergency Management Agency will go out to bid in mid-February.

“We’ve been working on different viable solutions,” Commissioner William Shorey said during his update on the proposed building. “It’s coming together well.”

Although a neighborhood group has opposed the project since it was first proposed last January, no one attended the court session to register disapproval. Opponents have attended other meetings to lodge complaints about the project, which include thoughts that the building would not be a good fit for the residential neighbor-hood surrounding it and that the county shouldn’t spend an estimated $1 million for this right now.

Waldo County Emergency Management Agency Director Dale Rowley said after the Tuesday court session that the design for the 10,750-square-foot structure has been done by Bangor firm WBRC.

He said that he anticipates that construction will begin in mid-April and that the two agencies will be able to move into the structure by late fall or early winter.

The new building will be erected adjacent to the relatively new Waldo County Regional Communications Center off Miller Street and would enable the sheriff’s office to move out of the agency’s current home, a 200-year-old house that has antiquated technology.

Last January, county officials said they would not need to increase taxes to construct the new building but instead would use money that already had been saved from taxes and placed into several different funds.

SEE COMMENTS →

ADVERTISEMENT | Grow your business
ADVERTISEMENT | Grow your business

Similar Articles

More in Midcoast