April 22, 2018
Bangor Latest News | Poll Questions | Barbara Bush | Susan Collins | Stoned Pets

Dog that bit Bangor woman has moved, bite victim says

By Nok-Noi Ricker, BDN Staff

BANGOR, Maine — Kim Giles, who reportedly was mauled by her neighbor’s German shepherd mix in November in the front yard of her Sixth Street home, is breathing more easily now that the dog no longer lives next door.

“They left last Tuesday,” she said Monday, referring to Dec. 21. “They packed up and left.”

Giles still is healing from bite wounds on her left hand and forearm from when the dog attacked her and her black Lab, Miles, dragged her and then attacked her again in a matter of seconds on the morning of Nov. 10.

After the attack, Giles said she was afraid to go outside and was afraid to walk Miles in her neighborhood because she feared the dog would get free and attack her again.

Her former next-door neighbor Scott Smith, 31, was charged Dec. 13 with having a dog at large and keeping a dangerous dog. His court date is Jan. 19.

Smith declined at the time to comment on what happened to Giles, but when asked whether his dog had ever bitten anyone before Giles, Smith said, “No.”

Smith’s dog escaped from its backyard and attacked her and Miles as they returned home from a walk, Giles said earlier this month. The dog knocked Giles to the ground, and when she got up, it bit her hand and dragged her. After the dog let go of her hand, Giles ran up her driveway, but the dog followed her and grabbed her left forearm, she said.

Then the attacking dog reportedly let her go and went after Miles again.

Michael Giles, Kim Giles’ 21-year-old son, was inside the house and heard her screams. He ran outside to help and as he pulled the dog off Miles, he was bitten. Smith arrived shortly after and took control of his dog, Kim Giles said. She was taken by ambulance to Eastern Maine Medical Center. Her son also was treated for mi-nor wounds to his hands.

Miles was treated by a veterinarian for bites to his neck, ear and lip that required several stitches.

Giles has lived at her house for 21 years and said that Smith moved into his mother’s home next door in August.

Giles said Smith tearfully apologized to her and she added that she never had any problems with him or his family, she just feared his dog. She said she believes the family understood her fear.

When Giles returned home on Dec. 21, the Smiths and their dog were gone, but they had left a package on her back deck.

“It had a gray blanket in it with a picture of a black Lab and with my dog’s name, Miles, embroidered underneath,” she said. “A note inside said, ‘I hope that you won’t be scared anymore’ and ‘God bless.’

“I thought that was nice,” Giles said. “I really think they did understand how fearful I was with that dog there next door.

“My problem was never with them,” she said. “I just wanted the dog to be gone. I think they understood.”

Have feedback? Want to know more? Send us ideas for follow-up stories.

You may also like