June 18, 2018
Augusta Latest News | Poll Questions | Tiny House Surprise | Antiquing | Stephen King

Waterville man uses snow pile to put out flames

The Associated Press

PITTSTON, Maine — An 18-year-old Waterville man who was badly burned in a gasoline fire while working on his car says his injuries could have been much worse if hadn’t dived into a snow pile.

Jacob Ashline suffered second-degree burns to his arms and hands Thursday when gasoline sprayed on him and ignited while he changed the car’s fuel filter in the garage at his grandparents’ home in Pittston. Ashline’s grandparents are Charlie and Lin Lawrence, according to the Morning Sentinel.

Ashline, a senior at Waterville High School, told the Morning Sentinel he ran out of the garage and jumped face first into the snow.

Ashline was taken to Central Maine Medical Center in Lewiston, where he was treated and released later that day. He spent Christmas recovering at home.

Despite the experience, Ashline still plans to study automotive technology at a community college next year.

Have feedback? Want to know more? Send us ideas for follow-up stories.

You may also like