June 20, 2018
Hancock Latest News | Poll Questions | Immigration | Lumber Market | RCV Ballots

Chimney fire spreads, damages home in Hancock

By Bill Trotter, BDN Staff

HANCOCK, Maine — A home on Old Route 1 was damaged Monday night when a chimney fire spread into adjacent rafters, according to the town fire chief.

No one was injured in the blaze, Fire Chief Chris Holmes said Wednesday.

The fire was reported at about 8:30 p.m. Monday shortly after the homeowner, Gregory Trundy, woke as smoke was building up inside his house. He had lit his wood stove for heat, but the fire spread into the stove’s chimney, according to Holmes.

By the time firefighters arrived at the house a few minutes later, the fire had spread further, into the rafters surrounding the chimney, Holmes said. They quickly stopped the fire from spreading any more and limited damage to the ceiling above the wood stove and the wall behind it, he said.

Holmes said that because the wood stove was Trundy’s only source of heat, he was unable to stay in the house that evening. Otherwise, he said, the home is habitable.

The fire chief said Trundy’s home is insured. He estimated that a total of 35 firefighters from Hancock, Franklin, Sullivan and Sorrento went to help make sure there was enough manpower to fight the fire.

Firefighters were at the scene for about two hours, according to Holmes.

Have feedback? Want to know more? Send us ideas for follow-up stories.

You may also like