After Rockland chimney fire, officials urge regular cleaning

Rockland firemen worked for two hours to extinguish a chimney fire that started at about 1 p.m. Wednesday at a residence on Lake Avenue. According to Lt. Jamie Leo, of the Rockland Fire Department, his men had to use chains to reduce soot buildup in the chimney first. After doing that, the firefighters were able to toss a dry chemical extinguisher into the chimney. No one was injured and the house was undamaged. Leo said people should have their chimneys cleaned at least once per year to avoid buildup. PHOTO COURTESY ROCKLAND FIRE DEPARTMENT
Rockland firemen worked for two hours to extinguish a chimney fire that started at about 1 p.m. Wednesday at a residence on Lake Avenue. According to Lt. Jamie Leo, of the Rockland Fire Department, his men had to use chains to reduce soot buildup in the chimney first. After doing that, the firefighters were able to toss a dry chemical extinguisher into the chimney. No one was injured and the house was undamaged. Leo said people should have their chimneys cleaned at least once per year to avoid buildup. PHOTO COURTESY ROCKLAND FIRE DEPARTMENT
Rockland firemen worked for two hours to extinguish a chimney fire that started at about 1 p.m. Wednesday at a residence on Lake Avenue. According to Lt. Jamie Leo, of the Rockland Fire Department, his men had to use chains to reduce soot buildup in the chimney first. After doing that, the firefighters were able to toss a dry chemical extinguisher into the chimney. No one was injured and the house was undamaged. Leo said people should have their chimneys cleaned at least once per year to avoid buildup. PHOTO COURTESY ROCKLAND FIRE DEPARTMENT
Rockland firemen worked for two hours to extinguish a chimney fire that started at about 1 p.m. Wednesday at a residence on Lake Avenue. According to Lt. Jamie Leo, of the Rockland Fire Department, his men had to use chains to reduce soot buildup in the chimney first. After doing that, the firefighters were able to toss a dry chemical extinguisher into the chimney. No one was injured and the house was undamaged. Leo said people should have their chimneys cleaned at least once per year to avoid buildup. PHOTO COURTESY ROCKLAND FIRE DEPARTMENT
Posted Dec. 23, 2010, at 2:36 p.m.

Rockland firefighters worked for two hours to extinguish a chimney fire that started at about 1 p.m. Wednesday at a residence on Lake Avenue. According to Lt. Jamie Leo of the Rockland Fire Department, his men had to use chains to reduce soot buildup in the chimney first. After doing that, the firefighters were able to toss a dry chemical extinguisher into the chimney. No one was injured, and the house was undamaged. Leo said homeowners should have their chimneys cleaned at least once per year to avoid buildup.

Recommend this article

SEE COMMENTS →

Learn about BDN Maine Digital Marketing Solutions
Learn about BDN Maine Digital Marketing Solutions
Learn about BDN Maine Digital Marketing Solutions

Similar Articles

More in State