May 21, 2018
Bangor Latest News | Poll Questions | Marijuana Ties | Mary Mayhew | Car Theft

Bangor man arrested after officer breaks leg

By Nok-Noi Ricker, BDN Staff

BANGOR, Maine — A local man suspected in the stabbing of a Bradford man met police Tuesday afternoon swinging a baseball bat, authorities said.

Andrew Borg, 36, who has a history of domestic violence, allegedly fought with arresting officers, which led to one officer breaking his leg.

Police were dispatched to an apartment at 165 Hammond St., which is in an apartment building located on the corner of Hammond and Ohio streets, for a report of a fight involving a knife, Sgt. Paul Edwards said in a press release.

Officers Tim Shaw and Jim Dearing arrived first and “noticed a large amount of blood in the common hallway” of the apartment house, he said.

The officers confronted Borg, who “wielded a baseball bat at the officers,” Edwards said.

Borg eventually surrendered the bat to Shaw and Dearing, but he became combative when they tried to arrest him.

“During the struggle to arrest Mr. Borg, he was grounded by the officers but continued to fight and was able to kick a large cast-iron radiator that was unsecured against a wall and that radiator fell onto Officer Jim Dearing’s legs,” Edwards said.

Dearing broke his left leg and was carried out of the building by fellow officers and taken to Eastern Maine Medical Center.

The blood in the hallway came from stab wounds inflicted by Borg on a 32-year-old Bradford man, the investigation revealed. The stabbing victim left before officers arrived, Edwards said. Police also discovered that Borg’s live-in girlfriend had been assaulted, he said.

“The stabbing victim remains at Eastern Maine Medical Center with stab wounds to his upper torso that were not life-threatening, and the female assault victim did not need treatment,” Edwards said.

Borg was charged with felony elevated aggravated assault and felony assault on a police officer, as well as domestic violence assault. He was taken to Penobscot County Jail, where he remained Tuesday night.

Borg was arrested for domestic violence assault in January involving the same female victim, but that case was dismissed, Sgt. Larry Webber said.

A month later he was charged twice with violating his conditions of release, on Feb. 6 and Feb. 10, he said.

According to a Bangor Daily News court listing from February, Borg was convicted of three counts of violating his conditions of release and was ordered to serve 12 days in jail.

If convicted of the elevated aggravated assault, Borg could face a penalty of up to 30 years in prison and a $50,000 fine and could face up to 10 years and a $20,000 fine for assault on a police officer.

Dearing was released from the hospital Tuesday evening, Webber said.

“He’s doing good,” he said. “He just popped in here real quick to drop off the report. He’s got a walking cast and is on crutches. He’ll be out on workman’s comp for a while.”

Have feedback? Want to know more? Send us ideas for follow-up stories.

You may also like