BAR HARBOR, Maine — A fire attributed to combustibles too close to a basement wood stove destroyed a home off Sand Point Road in Bar Harbor on Saturday.
Bar Harbor Assistant Fire Chief Lyman Kane said Sunday that the waterfront home of Tom Karnofsky and Beth Blugerman was a total loss.
The call came in from the homeowners at about 6 p.m. Saturday. Karnofsky and Blugerman got out safely, but by the time firefighters arrived, flames had engulfed the single-story structure, Kane said.
“We maintained a crew on scene through the evening to deal with any hot spots,” he said. The home was insured, according to Kane, and the owners stayed with family members in the area that evening. The assistant fire chief also said the local chapter of the American Red Cross has contacted the couple.
Crews from several area towns assisted in knocking down the fire. Since the cause and origin of the blaze were determined, the State Fire Marshal’s Office was not called.