HOULTON, Maine — Officials in SAD 29 are planning to reopen the search for a superintendent for the district next year after failing to find a suitable candidate in one round of advertising.
Elizabeth Anderson, chairwoman of the school board, said Monday that the district would begin readvertising for the position in January.
“We have withdrawn some of our advertising because we want to refocus,” she explained. “We want to work with the interim superintendent and orient him to the district and its schools, and it was difficult to focus on both at the same time.”
The superintendent’s seat has been vacant since Steve Fitzpatrick, who formerly held the position, resigned in June after being at the helm for six years. Less than a month after his resignation, Fitzpatrick, 55, was named the principal at Belfast Area High School.
Raymond Freve of Plymouth was appointed interim superintendent in the district in early November. The longtime superintendent took over for Peter Edgecomb, who had been the interim superintendent since summer. Edgecomb told the board when he was appointed that he could remain in the position only until November. Edgecomb, a state representative, was re-elected to his post on Election Day.
Anderson said that the board advertised for a new superintendent toward the end of summer and did a round of interviews in mid-September.
“We were not satisfied with the results of those interviews,” she confirmed Monday. “We also were told that it wasn’t really a great time to be advertising for a superintendent, so we’ve made the decision to just hold off and wait until next year.”
She said that Freve is expected to remain at the helm until the end of the 2010-2011 school year.
“If we hired a superintendent, he or she most likely could not start in our district until he finished out the school year at the district he or she was in,” he said. “So we will begin another round of advertising next year and we hope to have someone on board by July 1.”