Pittsfield man burned in early morning fire

Posted Dec. 08, 2010, at 7:40 p.m.

PITTSFIELD, Maine — A Pittsfield man is being treated for burns at Maine Medical Center in Portland after an early morning fire on Wednesday.

Pittsfield Fire Chief Bernard Williams said Richard Sprague first was taken to Sebasticook Valley Hospital in Pittsfield before being taken to Portland with second- and third-degree burns. Sprague’s three children, who were home when the fire broke out, all escaped without injury, said Williams.

Sprague was listed in fair condition Wednesday evening, according to a Maine Medical Center spokesman.

Williams said the fire at 140 Leonard St. was reported at about 12:30 a.m., and when crews arrived there were heavy flames in the front of the two-story, single-family home. Williams said the home is owned by Sprague’s father, who also is named Richard Sprague. Williams was unsure whether either man has a suffix attached to his name.

Crews from Pittsfield, Newport and Detroit fought the blaze and benefited from a fire hydrant located in front of the house. Williams said it took nearly six hours to douse the flames.

“It was just one of those fires that didn’t want to go out,” said Williams. “Every once in a while you run across a fire that has a mind of its own, and this was one of them.”

The home was gutted and its contents were a total loss. Williams said an investigator from the Maine Fire Marshal’s Office was at the scene Wednesday but had not yet determined a cause by Wednesday evening.

Williams said he has been directing people seeking to help the family with donations to the Hartland First Baptist Church, where the Spragues have been parishioners.

SEE COMMENTS →

ADVERTISEMENT | Grow your business
ADVERTISEMENT | Grow your business

Similar Articles

More in Mid-Maine